I guess I'll start with the latest and work my way backwards. I'll try to do all my catching up in this one post.
THE SCHOOL BOY...
Luke is doing well and is officially a school boy! He goes to preschool Mon-Thur from 8:00-11:30. He does well most days. Of course, some days are more productive than others, which is to be expected. He heads out the door every morning with his walker and his cute little Elmo backpack on. He looks like such a big boy. We have one step down right out our front door. He's learned to step down it so carefully so he doesn't fall and then he practically runs to the car. It's really an adorable sight to see. (Luke rides to school everyday on the "mommy-bus"). He really loves to go to school. Last year at this time, it was hard to imagine I'd be saying that. He has both a para (auntie Ginny) and a PCA (better known as Grandma) with him while he's in school. It's necessary to have a PCA with him to handle his trach and g-tube cares. His day at school consists of music, books and puzzles, reading street, circle time, art (he's making all kinds of beautiful artwork for me to hang everywhere), free play time, snack time (gets his snack through g-tube and he LOVES to wash his hands before the snack) and recess at the playground, which, like most kids, is his favorite part of school and he doesn't want to leave when it's time to go. In between all these activities he spends some one-on-one time with his Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and his Early Childhood Teacher. Luke has even made a best friend already. She likes to sit with him and she even gives him hugs. He loves to be by her too. But sadly, she's moving away in a couple of months. I'm really bummed about that. I think Luke could really learn a lot from her and I'm sure he'll miss her. And of course, there's the bugs. Going to school puts Luke at a higher risk for catching all kinds of sick-germs, so we'll have to be on our toes, especially when the flu season hits. Here are the school-boy pictures. (He moves so fast it's hard to catch a good one.)
Here's my other handsome school boy.
TIME FOR A HAIRCUT...
Luke recently got another spiffy haircut. I'm very lucky that my sister-in-law's mom is willing to go out of her way to come to my house to give Luke and Alex their haircuts. It's quite a challenge keeping Luke still through an entire haircut and she's very patient.
MOMMY'S RETREAT...
A few weekends ago I attended a Mother's Weekend Get-Away for mom's of children with combined vision and hearing loss who live in Minnesota. It was really hard to talk myself into going away because I always feel like I have so many other things I should be doing (plus I had a bad back at that time), but I'm really glad I went. I rode with a friend from my town who has a daughter with CHARGE. She's been a great support person to have and she's got great advice since she's already been through the school system with CHARGE (her daughter's 14) and sort of "paved the way" for me and Luke. Many of the moms there had kids with CHARGE as it is one of the highest causes of DeafBlindness. I got to meet some friends I had talked to on the phone before, but had never met, so that was cool. I got to see an old friend from a past conference too. I got a massage... my first professional one. We went through a simulation to show you what it's like to be DeafBlind. A real eye-opener! It was a weekend full of laughs, friends, good food, good advice and fun. But it's always nice to come home!
WHAT A MONKEY...
Lately, Luke climbs on anything and everything. Look! Luke found a new way to use his little table.
The little monkey also likes to hide out in the bottom of this cabinet.
PROFESSIONAL PICS...
Only three times have I ever tried to take Luke for professional pictures, and so far three times I've been disappointed and walk out thinking that my digital camera is the greatest thing in the world. The first time was a nightmare, more because of the photographer than Luke, and I swore I'd never go back to there again. Luke was only one and wanted to lay on his back and look at the lights. The photographer was very impatient and snapped at Alex because Luke wasn't cooperating and apparently had never worked with a special needs kid before. We didn't get any pictures out of that deal. The second time, might have been better except Luke was just starting to get sick, and we didn't know it at the time. We got a couple pictures, but none with a smile. They were just OK. Last month, I decided to try again. I told the lady when I made the appointment that Luke was a special needs child with a trach and that he couldn't stand on his own yet and he may not cooperate. She reassured me that they work with special kids all the time. Well, when we got there, they didn't have much for props and she really didn't have any suggestions either. We did, however, get some cute pics this time, but just not that perfect one I've been waiting for. I'm sure I'll try again next year and hopefully I'll remember to lower my expectations, but in the meantime, I'll keep snappin' away with my digital. Here's the pics:
OK, so this one is pretty cute even if the big 3 wobbled and could barely hold him up.

"You really trust this thing to hold me up, Mom?"

The serious look.


LUKE'S STANDING... with a little help from the wall.
I love these pics. Luke went through a little stage where he liked to stand against the wall. I think he felt pretty big about it. He hasn't done it for a couple of weeks now though. Notice the one sock on... one sock off look, which is becoming a regular thing these days.
LUKE & LAUREN... sound like something from General Hospital.
Luke's cousin Lauren came to visit a few weeks ago. These two get along so well. She's so patient with Luke and likes to be by his side to show him how to do things. I got some really cute pictures of Lauren sitting beside Luke in his chair. Yes, they are cousins, but she's sitting beside Luke like, "Yeah, I'm his girl." Aren't they just adorable???
ONE BEAUTIFUL AUGUST AFTERNOON...

"Careful Luke, don't touch the grass!"
"Okay, maybe I'll touch it just this once."












2 comments:
Luke, I love all your pictures! You look so cute and grown up! Glad you are liking school. I really like the picture of your friend walking beside your walker--too cute!
xo
Leslie & Katie
WOW!! Look at all those beautiful pictures!! What a wonderful update. He is getting so big and so handsome, I see a prom date for Eva...LOL! Thanks for the update and I am glad to hear he is doing so well.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
Post a Comment