Well, now that Christmas and New Year's is officially over, and I have a free moment to step back, all I can think is... "What the heck just happened here??? Did I just completely fly right by my most favorite holiday and time of year?!?" Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. I did what I vow never to do every year... and that's to let my Christmas shopping, wrapping, cooking, etc. pile up on me, so that I'm so consumed with running around and checking things off, that I don't have a spare minute to do the things I really love to do in December. Like baking (no fudge or lemon-poppy seed bread, and my ingredients for the peppermint bark candy I wanted to try are still sitting on the counter), cuddling on the couch with warm apple cider or hot cocoa, actually sitting and watching the snow come down and enjoying the white Christmas, watching my favorite Christmas shows and cartoons with the kids (no Rudolf, no Frosty, and I missed The Grinch, my favorite!!! No Christmas Story or Polar Express! Another favorite. And I've always wanted to watch The Scrooge which I've never even seen, and didn't see again this year). No, along with a few doctor visits for Luke's pesky ear infection that won't ever seem to go away, just trips to the mall, Kohls, Penney's, Herbergers, Target, Wal-Mart, being stuffed away in my bedroom with endless wrapping and credit card bills I can't really afford. I didn't get a chance to send out Christmas cards (thank you to everyone who sent us cards) or even take that fantabulous picture of the kids in front of the tree. In fact, I hardly have any Christmas pictures at all this year. And obviously, I didn't get a chance to update Luke's blog or wish any of my fellow-blog and CaringBridge friends a Merry Christmas and I didn't get together with any good friends I hardly ever see (sorry Sherrie... tea and crumpets in January?).
So... it wasn't quite the Christmas I had planned, but even after all the busy-ness and regrets... there are a few important things to remember that made Christmas wonderful, like it really was. Luke remained quite healthy and happy, all my kids were healthy, Jon and I both have our parents (while both my parents were grieving the loss of their moms this Christmas), everyone stayed safe with all the snow and terrible driving conditions, my family was together and no one had to spend Christmas in the hospital, including my nephew Patrick, who was able to come home for Christmas. So while I hope it's a lesson learned for me to not let things pile up on me that way (I'm starting my '09 holiday shopping now!), I think the most important lesson for me is to take the time to treasure the most important things... health, safety, family and friends. Good words to try to live by not only for Christmas-time but for the entire year to come as well.
Here are some of the few pictures I have from December. Enjoy and have a very Happy and Blessed 2009!
Saturday, January 3, 2009
A crazy, crazy December!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
Hey there!!!
Checking on your little guy!
I enjoyed watching the pictures and the smiles on everyones faces!!!
Love
Mimi
I know what you mean Christmas just flew by, all my work and shopping it was like over. I could not believe it. I wish I had more time and I AM going to start shopping earlier this year also. I normally start in Aug, but this year I did not start til the day after Thanksgiving which I thought I would never do.
I also did not get as many pictures as I would have liked but we did have a nice Christmas.
HOpe your new year is filled with love, joy and health.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I know exactly what you mean--this was the most disorganized I've ever been at Christmas. It seems like my organization skills keep slipping by the year!
Good to hear from you! I like your idea on starting x-mas shopping now. The problem is on this end is that I don't remember all I have bought and then I will double buy! Can never win. Glad to hear Luke is staying healthy. He looks really good! Are you planning on going to any deaf/blind activities? I don't know what is up and coming but would be good to see you and some of the other moms who were at the retreat. Life is good on this end.
Take Care!
Nicole and Andrew Schmidt
Post a Comment